Which of the 21 models of Porsche Panamera is right for you? Also, why do I want to call it the Pan-AMERICA? If I win the bazillion dollar lottery, I can simplify this and just buy
all 21 models can't I?
I think most cars and their multiple models were confusing enough, although some are more confusing than others. Not that I want Ford to only make the Model T again, but it would be easier, wouldn't it? Take the Mustang as an example. Used to be it came in V8 or V6. Then they threw in a 4 cylinder. Then the Mach 1. And the Boss. and the GT350. And a GT500. Now there's the electric Mustang Mach-E. Don't forget the Cobra.
How about our Camry? It's an XLE, which since it has three letters, I think it's fancier than the LE or XL ones that only have 2 letters. I don' know if long ago Toyota used up the A mode, B model, C model, etc. Maybe there's only 3 different versions of Camry, oh, other than the Hybrid. and the Hybrid Prime. OK, I really don't care much since I've never bothered to look them up.
However, the Porsche folks have taken this to the next level! Their Panamera is a big 4 door high performance car, and I'm sure it's pretty nice. Like other Porsche models, there is a base version, then an S higher performance. And a Turbo. And a 4 wheel drive. Then each of those they make slightly larger as an Executive version. Then there's the Hybrid versions of all the others, PLUS the Sport Tourismo versions, AND the GTS versions. Confused yet? I know I am.
Let's just lay it all out, names and MSRP prices are from the Porsche USA web page. To keep it confusing, this is the order you can see them on their webpage, and they aren't in order of price either:
1. Panamera $87,200
2. Panamera 4 $91,800
3. Panamera 4 Executive $98,500
4. Panamera 4 Sport Tourismo $98,000
5. Panamera 4S $105,000
6. Panamera 4S Executive $116,300
7. Panamera 4S Sport Tourismo $111,200
8. Panamera 4 E-Hybrid $103,800
9. Panamera 4 E-Hybrid Executive $108,300
10. Panamera 4 E-Hybrid Sport Tourismo $107,800
11. Panamera 4S E-Hybrid $113,300
12. Panamera 4S E-Hybrid Executive $124,600
13. Panamera 4S E-Hybrid Sport Tourismo $117,300
14. Panamera GTS $129,300
15. Panamera GTS Sport Tourismo $135,500
16. Panamera Turbo S $177,700
17. Panamera Turbo S Executive $188,100
18. Panamera Turbo S Sport Tourismo $181,700
19. Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid $187,700
20. Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid Executive $198,100
21. Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid Sport Tourismo $191,700
On the other hand, the one thing with German cars I like is the long words, like when VW used to use Fahrvergnügen. Porsche has that one beat though, with their German name for the automatic double-clutch, the Doppelkupplungsgetriebe . Let's just call it PDK then.